The results of the National Litter Index are in.
- There was a 34.5% decline in litter counted in 2017/18.
- Less litter observed across all site types in 2017/18.
- The overall lower litter observed was mainly attributed to the drop in cigarette related litter, takeaway packaging litter, beverage containers, other general litter and other paper litter.
- There was also 7.2% decrease in litter volume (excludes illegal dumping) in NT in 2017/18 compared to 2016/17
- While the overall fall in the volume of litter was mainly attributed to lower volumes of takeaway packaging and beverage containers in the litter stream.
- Retail and industrial precincts have by the highest litter loads
- The most significant change in volumetric terms was a decline in litter volume of beveragecontainers at beaches in 2017/18